A tax lawyer is typically a lawyer whose practice is focussed on tax issues, including, but not limited to: personal or corporate income tax, the Goods and Services Tax (GST), Retail Sales Tax (RST/PST), Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), and the Ontario Employer Health Tax (EHT).
A tax lawyer will often also represent clients before many different levels of government (audits, objections, appeals). Many of these lawyers will also represent clients in appeals to the Tax Court of Canada.
Some tax lawyers will practice in a variety of tax areas, while others may focus exclusively on one particular type of tax. Generally speaking, a tax lawyer will be more familiar with tax law than a general practitioner.
Millar Kreklewetz LLP has a number of tax lawyers with expertise in each of these areas, and who can represent you before the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), and any other government department. The tax lawyers at Millar Kreklewetz LLP are also able to represent you before the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, and Supreme Court of Canada on any tax matters.
As all of Millar Kreklewetz’s tax lawyers are also versed in other aspects of our practice – namely customs and trade related matters – we believe that a competitive advantage that we offer our non-resident clients is the ability to address all of their Canadian tax and trade issues in one sitting, with just one of our partners. In contrast, many of our competitors will require at least two and sometimes three different lawyers to address all of these isssues.
As far back as 1995, the International Tax Review ranked the Jack Millar’s direct tax practice as the best in any law firm in Canada, and that ranking stuck with Jack and Rob as they formed their own firm in 1996 – and again in 1997, before such rankings were discontinued.
Since that time, Rob and Jack – and Millar Kreklewetz LLP – have been consistently ranked and recognized as among the best tax lawyers in Canada.
Why We Are The Best Tax Lawyers In Canada
Of the Firm’s many achievements, we are most proud of the following:
- For the three decades, Jack and Rob have been consistently recognized in L’Expert Magazine’s Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada publication as experts in their fields of tax and trade.
- In a 1999 article on “Super Boutiques”, L’Expert Magazine went to far as to refer to Jack and Rob’s practice as a “brand name” for “tax and related international trade work.
- The 2005 edition of the Canadian Lawyer Magazine ranked Millar Kreklewetz LLP as a “Top Tax Boutique in Canada”.
- In May 2007, the Firm was first noted (and consistently ranked since) in the World Tax publication, and ranked as a leading Canadian firm, with a noted “stellar client base”, and has been ranked in that publication since.
- Jack and Rob have also been recognized in the “Best Lawyers in Canada” publication, consistently, and as recently as 2010.
- In May 2011 Finance Monthly Magazine awarded Millar Kreklewetz LLP its 2011 award for Tax Law Firm of the Year, Canada – which is a voted-upon award.
Please visit our Home Page or elsewhere on the Millar Kreklewetz LLP Website for free information about our core tax and trade practice areas.
Please visit the Contact Us page, and feel free to contact one of our tax lawyers.